Homeward Bound

Friday, August 31, 2012

After we left our hearts in San Francisco (cheesy, I know but couldn't resist) we headed north to Redding, CA to fulfill Ben's vacation wish: a water park.  While researching this before the trip, I remembered that 11 years ago, while driving to Sacramento by myself with a 2 yr. old and 4 yr. old and 6 months pregnant, we stopped at a water park right off I-5 and I briefly lost Quinn there. (what was I thinking?)  This is where we stopped for our last full day of family fun. 
 
We left San Francisco and planned our route specifically to coincide with dinner time at the only Chick-fil-A along the way.  Trey hopped on Priceline and we scored a room at the Red Lion Inn that was heavenly.   A huge room with pillow top beds and a cute little balcony.  We rolled in around 11:00 and we all slept until 9:00 the next morning. 
 
WaterWorks park was the perfect venue for a 97-degree day.  I loved watching the boys play together and take on every ride--Ben was finally tall enough to not be turned away once!!  All four of them played a game of tag in the lazy river ride and I was content to float along by my lonesome.  I didn't want the day to end. 
 
That night we decided on Medford as the goal and warned the boys that our last night would be spent camping--and without any electronics.  We pulled into the KOA and secured the last campsite available.  Laundry, hot showers, firewood and a big grassy site next to an adorable couple who were taking a cross country motorcyle trip.  We enjoyed hearing the tales and roasting marshmallows around the campfire after dinner.  This picture below is what was sitting on top of our fire pit when we arrived.  It was a wonderful reminder for us to thank God for his provision and protection as we logged 2,532 miles, made amazing memories and reconnected as a family.  My heart is so grateful.
 


 
 
 Soaking up the sun on the last day.
 
 Their response to "how would you rate this water park?"
 
 He's smiling on the inside.  I just know it.
 
Our family's happy place.
 


COMMENTS: »