Sweet Sixteen 2.0

Monday, September 15, 2014


Look at that face!  Oh, how I just want to transport myself back in time to the summer of 2007 when this photo was snapped.  He was about to enter third grade, celebrate his ninth birthday, lose some more teeth, start soccer practice and still thought I was the coolest chick to walk the earth.  And today, he's a sophomore in high school about to get his driver's license.  And I'm pretty sure he simply tolerates me.

But, oh how I love this middle child of mine. Ever since Ian Joseph came into this world, he has never been one to suffer fools. He either liked you or didn't. He had a strong will and could rarely be swayed or bribed to fit into your agenda for him. When we tried to train him to "cry it out" as a baby, he cried it out for close to an hour a night for 6 straight months. When he was a toddler and anyone attempted to capture a picture of him, he'd cover his eyes and scream. He hated being the center of attention or fussed over.  He attempted sleep overs but when we refused to come get him after his midnight plea, he started walking home. This kid has a mind of his own and while it certainly hasn't made life easy as a parent, I've come to appreciate the benefits of this "what you see is what you get" personality.

In addition to never having to guess where you stand with Ian, he is also the most low maintenance, pragmatic kid I know.  He is a simpleton in the truest sense of the word.  He rarely asks for anything. When I knew he was going to be gone this summer for 2 weeks, I asked if he'd like me to paint his bedroom during that time.  His response: "Why?  All I do is sleep in there."  Every August when the local fair comes into town, the other two boys are usually clamoring to get out there daily. A couple summers ago, I offered to take everyone out there for the day and purchase the overpriced all-day-ride bracelet.  Ian requested the cash instead and invested it in his bike.

I could go on and on about all the qualities that endear me to this young man but I think I've made my point.

Happy 16th birthday to you, Ian!  You keep me on my toes and fill my heart with joy.

COMMENTS: »