It's Official: He's a Teenager

Wednesday, January 6, 2010












I don't remember hitting the "fast forward" button but someone else must have. How on earth do thirteen years morph into a blink of an eye? When did "It's a boy?" become "It's an alien!"? When did I go from being the most beautiful, most adored, most hugged woman in his life to the biggest, dumbest, most uncool dork on the planet? Everyone warned me. I just didn't believe them. My child was going to be different. Kind of like my hubby and I were going to still make out on the sofa when we were old and gray. Oh, what an idealistic one I was.


Here's a little contrast between 1997 and 2010.......
Then:
  • Weight: 7 pounds, 7 ounces
  • Length: 20 inches
  • Smelled like: baby powder and sweetness
  • Acts like: an angel
  • Frequent sound he makes: cooing
  • Favorite way to spend time: cuddling/sleeping
Now:
  • Weight: 94 pounds
  • Length: 62 inches
  • Smells like: sweaty socks and deodorant
  • Acts like: a master of all subjects
  • Frequent sound he makes: mumbling
  • Favorite way to spend time: texting

In spite of the inevitable--and sometimes unwelcome-- changes that come with entering the teen years, I am still crazy about this boy. Just like the day they placed him in my arms. He is kind, personable, polite and generous. He still gives the warmest hugs and deepest compliments. He has a maturity that surpasses his age and leaves me amazed.

Happy Birthday, Quinn. I cherish being your mom and thank God that He has entrusted you to me for this season of your life and mine. I love you more than words can say.

3 Comments »

3 Responses to “It's Official: He's a Teenager”

Anonymous said...

Dana,
What a beautiful post! Your words give me a sense of what my future is to hold and I hope that I can do this "mom" thing as gracefully as you have. Thank you for being such a great example!

All my love, Jana

JANELLE S MCQUARRIE said...

Sweetest, most adorable posting ever. He is an awesome kid, a reflection of his awesome parents!

Ashlee said...

Perhaps you should treat him with some WOW chips in honor of his new teenage status! -- Ashlee