Happy New Year, Happy New Decade

Saturday, January 2, 2010


Ahhhhh...... the promise of a new year. 2010, I , for one, am so glad you're here. As the calendar turned, not only did we get a new year but a new decade as well. Can I get an "Amen"? I don't know about you but I was soooooooo ready to say "good riddance" to 2009.

Dear 2009,
It's time for us to part ways. You have not been kind to us. Suffice it to say you will go down in history as the year to be forgotten in our family memory book. Within a month of you arriving, I knew we weren't going to get along. I tend to go with how the year begins as an indicator of what kind of theme will ensue. By February it became clear that you were bringing change and instability. Two presents that I wanted to return. But these gifts became ones that kept on giving. Month after month after month. Sure we had a few reprieves here and there but, for the most part, you refused to let up on the trigger. I knew I couldn't get rid of you but by the last quarter of your stay I thought I'd become quite used to your presence. Come September you turned up the heat to the point I was begging you to leave. Clearly you wanted to go out with a bang. You definitely sealed the deal with that rotten stomach flu just in time for Christmas.
There was a large part of me that wanted to throw a BIG bash just to let you know how badly I wanted you gone. I felt desperate to assure you what a celebration it would be when your replacement came knocking on the door. Yet even that felt like a stretch. Instead we surrendered and settled for a cozy evening home with board games and a late dinner. The most effort and expense I put forth was buying the last two pairs of these lovely glasses from Walmart.
So, goodbye 2009. I'm sure you're not surprised by my lack of tears. 2010, please come in. I can already tell you're different.
Do we know how to party or what?
Gotta love the teenager.

Wild and crazy for sure.

2 Comments »

2 Responses to “Happy New Year, Happy New Decade”

Unknown said...

Here is your "Amen" to your bid good-bye to 2009. I am with ya sister!!! Looking forward to all 2010 has for us both.

Anonymous said...

I love the bowl season!
Mikey!