Foodie Friday

Friday, May 1, 2009

Prior to living in the South, I can't recall ever making someone a meal or having one brought to me. I always thought the only event that warranted a home-cooked meal was a funeral. Little did I know there's a different set of rules on the other side of the Mason-Dixon and childbirth ranks right up there with death. Hmmmm. After we brought Quinn home from the hospital, I remember Trey saying: "We need to have more babies. We've never eaten this good." (thanks, Honey.) We had dinners for two straight weeks and, of course, everyone brought us her best Southern dish. When Ian arrived, I will never forget my friend Janice bringing me a fabulous dinner and the only ingredients I could remember were chicken and poppyseeds. I kept craving that delicious dish over the years but lost touch with my friend and couldn't track down the recipe.


One of the blogs, I follow is Kelly's Korner . She's an Arkansas girl who happens to have a separate blog dedicated to a few choice dishes. And lo and behold, there I found my "Poppyseed Chicken". Her variation has a topping that I haven't tried before but how can you go wrong with Ritz crackers and a stick--yes, a stick--of butter?? Bon Appetit!
Poppyseed Chicken



(this is Kelly's picture, too)

  • 3 chicken breasts, cooked and cut into small pieces
  • 2 cans cream of chicken soup
  • 16 oz. (2 cups) sour cream
  • 2 T. poppyseeds
  • 1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
  • 1 stick butter, melted

Mix first three ingredients in 9 x 13 glass baking dish. Sprinkle poppyseeds over top, then crackers and drizzle with melted butter. Bake at 350, uncovered for 20-30 minutes.

COMMENTS: »