Cell Phones

Thursday, January 24, 2008

In the last week or so it seems I've misdialed three or four people while attempting to reach them on their cell phones. Within mere minutes I've received panicked responses from the owners of those wrong numbers: "I see I missed a call from this number!!!!!!!" or "Who is this???!!!" If I didn't leave a message it's probably a good indication that one, I don't know you and two, I don't need you to call me back. What ever did one do without this apparent life sustaining device?????? How did it come to be that having our phone on our person at all times is absolutely necessary? Just look around when you exit an airplane. How long does it take before 99% of the passengers are turning their phones back on and desperately checking messages?
Yes, this particular invention has made life easier and sometimes safer on many levels. But its level of importance has reached an all time high. Could it be that we are seeking relationship and connection without knowing it? I recently read a funny quote about our relationships with cell phone providers in the book The Gospel According To Starbucks by Leonard Sweet. " Cell phone companies aren't selling cell phones. They're selling relationships. If you don't think your cell phone provider is selling relationhips, try and get out of your contracted "relationship." You almost have to hire a divorce lawyer. We now have phone relationships that last far longer than many marriages." And a lot less is required of you.

1 Comment »

One Response to “Cell Phones”

Anonymous said...

I went to the opera two weekends ago, and as soon as the first intermission started I saw many people furiously texting away. Why, oh why, can people not escape their regular lives for a relaxing evening out?!? Does anyone else other than me ever want to NOT be found for 30 minutes?!?