A Golden Birthday

Sunday, September 15, 2013

I'm not sure when I was first introduced to the term, but I do remember hearing that when you turn the age of the day your birthday falls on, it's called your "golden birthday."  I still remember turning 23 on the 23rd.  Trey and I had been dating less than a month when he spoiled me rotten with gifts, flowers and a romantic dinner on top of The Space Needle. I can picture the photograph--the first real official snapshot of our courtship.  Ben has to wait until he is (hopefully) out of our house and close to 30 for his.  Quinn was the ripe old age of 6 and a little Kindergartener.  Ian couldn't be at a more perfect age: 15 on the 15th.


Every year, when this kid's birthday comes around, it seems like he always gets the short end of the stick.  School has just started, everyone's schedule is crazy busy and he's not one to speak up and ask for what he wants.  And he absolutely hates to be fussed over.  In fact, because of this, it seems like everyone overlooks just how special he is. He marches to his own drum.  He's not a super social guy.  He prefers one-on-one to a big group.  He doesn't buy into what the world is selling and isn't afraid to say so.  In a word, he is completely different from the brother above him and the one below and I'm sure he is reminded of it everywhere he goes.  Although he doesn't let on that it bothers him, I know it has to be getting old. 

  This year, I have been determined to make this his best birthday yet and he will go to sleep tonight feeling utterly and completed loved and treasured for the unique, witty, wonderful person that he is.  We have been talking about his special day all summer long.  Plus, he's official to get his learner's permit today so there's even more anticipation than normal.  

Right now, he is up in "The Shire"--his own private bike jump facility as an undisclosed location.  He's invited a few fellow bikers to "hit the jumps" with him, grill burgers, overindulge in Mountain Dew and just be guys. I have 15 awesome presents to wrap, so I'll end here.

Ian Joseph, you remind me of myself in so many ways with your independent streak, deep thinking soul and low maintenance ways.  My wish for you this birthday is that you will ontinue to embrace who God made you to be and know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I love you a ton and feel honored to be your mom. 

COMMENTS: »