Back to the Books

Tuesday, September 4, 2012


 No smiles at 7:00 a.m. for this sophomore.

 At the top of the class-8th grade!

The "senior year" of elementary school-5th grade!

Last night as the boys were scurrying about getting their binders and backpacks fully stocked with new pencils, notebooks, highlighters and pens, I found myself feeling quite melancholy.  I have ALWAYS looked forward to the first day of the school year.  If you asked me what my favorite day of the year was, without hesitation I would answer: the day after Labor Day aka the first day of school.  I love new beginnings. I love high expectations and excitement.  I love Fall.  I love plugging practices and games into my calendar.  I love Friday Night Lights and Saturday morning soccer matches.  But this time around it feels like the inevitable is one step closer.  The calendar keeps turning to a new month faster than I ever imagined it would. Today it's September and before I know it, Christmas will be here.  (sorry)

I think what makes this adjustment even harder is how fleeting the summer felt.  Aside from our road trip-which is now even more special to me than ever before--we spent very little time together as a family.  With two teenagers, their social lives and independence seemed to be in overdrive.  There was rarely a day where someone wasn't doing a lawn mowing job, heading to the lake or mountain biking.  I have always fought for our family time when our culture screams for over-scheduling, over-committing and over-everything.  But even when I did insist on sharing a movie night, pizza or ice cream, everyone's minds seemed to be elsewhere.  I remember those days myself so I can't begrudge them.  It's the natural order of things.  It's all part of the plan.  I just wish one part of the plan included making time stand still.

For nostalgia's sake, I had to post this photo from 2007-the one year all three of them were at the same school: Kindergarten, 3rd grade and 5th grade.  




COMMENTS: »