Ian is 14

Saturday, September 15, 2012

These are by far my favorite posts to write.  I so enjoy writing about two things I love the most in life: my boys and birthdays.  Even better when one my boys has a birthday.  Today, we celebrate birthday #14 of boy #2.  This has been a big year for Ian and the theme I have seen over and over in him for the past 12 months is: "Problem Solver."  He is a "git ir done" kind of kid in every sense of the word (or stupid redneck phrase).  

One of my favorite stories about Ian not only showcases his problem solving skills but probably will go down in history as our most embarrassing moment--ever.  When he was 8 years old, our neighbors (who often made comments about their finances, mostly on the frugal side of things) did a major landscaping project that had many of us wondering why they would suddenly drop a load of cash on something that wasn't a great return on investment?  My husband happened to wonder out loud where the cash came from.  Unbeknownst to us, Ian's little ears overheard the conversation and decided to take matters into his own hands.  After riding his bike around the cul-de-sac, he came in the kitchen and announced that he knew the answer to our earlier question.  Ian: "Mom and Dad, I know where the "Smiths" got the money to do all that work."  Us: "You do?  How?"   Ian: "I asked 'em!"  Us: "WHAT?"  Ian: "Yeah.  I said my mom and dad were wondering where you got the money to do all this work.  They said they saved it up!!"  Trey immediately lit into him and he defended himself with "you said you were wondering so I thought I'd find out for you."  Like I said: a problem solver.  So maybe that wouldn't have been my first choice for how to get the info (that was none of our business to begin with) but he was honestly just trying to help.  

At the end of last summer, he decided to build a bike from scratch.  The kid made a list of every single part, knew the manufacturer he needed to buy them from and what the estimated cost range was.  Little by little he chipped away at earning money and ordering each part as he could afford it.  Within 6 months that bike was built and even the 20-somethings admire his handiwork which is always a nice perk when you're 13.  

The best, and final story I will share has all come to fruition just this week.  Almost a year ago we began trying to buy a house that was brought to our attention just around the corner.  Ian builds bike jumps above the property which was how we learned about it.  The house had been empty for almost a year and the owner was not returning phone calls from us or anyone else.  I ended up writing the guy a letter back in July but as of early August I had no reply.  Ian met the man's son biking and came home with the dad's phone number programmed into his phone.  He proudly walked in that day announcing how his problem solving skills were going to help us get in this house.  I told him we were waiting for him to respond to my letter or Trey's phone calls.  A couple weeks later I hear him downstairs talking on the phone.  As I eavesdropped, I heard:  "Yeah, Ian.  Trey's middle son.  13.  My mom and dad want to work out a deal with you to buy your house. Did you get my mom's letter?" I couldn't believe my ears!  He was tired of waiting around, had heard numerous conversations about it, he wanted to live there too so once again, he took matters into his own hands--and we are moving in tomorrow.  Man, I love that kid!

Happy 14th Birthday, Ian Joseph!  You are confidence, kindness and sassiness all rolled into one and I'm so glad God chose me to be your mom.  I adore you!


 Didn't his mother tell him his eyes would stay crossed if he did that?


 Doing what he does best.

 The finished product.

 Showing his swag.

Almost as tall as mama. 

COMMENTS: »