I just love Reader's Digest

Tuesday, August 11, 2009


Am I completely dating myself for revealing this little known fact about moi? One of my BFF's dropped off a bunch--and I mean a bunch--of used magazines destined for the recycling bin. In the stack were four or five issues of Reader's Digest. I remember the "All in a Day's Work" page with funny stories from the workplace. Being a true "wordy", I loved being challenge with the Word Power section. They'd give you 17 words with three choices for its definition. My goal was always to get 14-17 and be considered "genius". Still hasn't happened. Over the years when I'd find a copy in a waiting room or hair salon, I immediately went to those familiar pages. There's always been something so comforting about that. Kind of like macaroni & cheese or meatloaf.
The August 2009 issue's (shown above) feature story is titled "Advice to Live By". Everything from "How to Stay Cool" to "How to be Funnier" to "How to Teach a Cat to Handshake" (seriously) is included on these 24 pages. The best part though is that along the bottom of each page the author included "Reader-Tested Life Advice". Some of them you've heard often and others are just plain inspiring. I love these little snippets and just had to share my favorites.
  • Do what is right. Not what is easy.
  • Don't confuse a want with a need.
  • Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • Live your life so the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral.
  • Keep your word.
  • Never burn a bridge. Just shut it down for renovations for a while.
  • Don't be afraid to be different.
  • Put the peanut butter on the bread before the jelly.
  • Respect those below you. You never know when they will be your boss.
  • My sweet great-grandma used to say to us, "Live through it or die from it--you choose.
  • Always keep your gas tank half-full.
  • Don't worry about what you don't have. Be grateful for what you do have.
  • When raising young kids, remember: The days are long but the years are short.
  • Don't ever regret growing older. Many don't have that privilege.
  • Remember that every expert was once a beginner.
  • Maintain a valid passport. You never know when a new adventure might happen.

2 Comments »

2 Responses to “I just love Reader's Digest”

Anonymous said...

I love this article too! I ripped it out for a future "in need of advice" situation.

Anonymous said...

I love this article too! I ripped it out for a future "in need of advice" situation.