20 Things About 2011

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

I know it's already the third day of 2012 but I've been thinking about how I wanted to editorialize 2011. I love to sum up the previous year and talk about the new one. Last year I borrowed five questions from a daily devotional I receive via email but I was looking for something a little different this time around. Tonight I stumbled onto a cute post from a fellow blogger at Walk With Me By Faith and copied it below. I just love good questions although I'd rather ask them than answer.


1.) What did you do in 2011 that you had never done before?

Taught a Language Arts lesson to a group of sixth graders.


2.) Did you keep any New Year's resolutions and will you make more this year?

The same one I always make is to get out of bed when I wake up and by the second week of January I am hitting snooze once or twice. A less shallow one is to fully embrace Hebrews 12:1 and leave the past behind, focusing my energy on the present and look forward to the future. Each year I do ask God for a verse and theme for the upcoming year and this is what he gave me in December and confirmed it a couple different times. I'm very excited about this.

3.) Did anyone close to you give birth?

Yes, my cousin Natalie gave birth to her first child, Ty. A darling little guy.

4.) Did anyone close to you die?

Yes, my great aunt Sylvia. She was my grandmother's youngest sister and one of the most thoughtful people I've ever known. I wouldn't say we were incredibly close but I loved her very much and have a lot of fond memories of time spent in her presence and at her home.

5.) What places did you visit?

Amelia Island, Florida; Atlanta, Georgia; Veranda Beach, WA; Walla Walla, WA; Wenatchee, WA; Mountain Loop Highway camping.

6.) What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?

A home of our own.

7.) What date from 2011 will remain etched in your memory and why?

December 11-the day my oldest son broke his collarbone on the mountain. It was one of the worst feelings getting a call that your child has been severely injured and you aren't there.

8.) What was your biggest achievement this year and why?

Going back to school full-time and getting a 4.0 while managing a home and a family. I probably don't need to explain why that's an achievement. :)

9.) Did you suffer illness or injury?

No, but my kids had enough of both that it felt like it was me.


10.) What was the best thing you bought?

A DSLR camera.


11.) Where did most of your money go?

Feeding, clothing, housing and transporting my children.

12.) What song will always remind you of 2011?

"Perfect" by Pink.

13.) What do you wish you would have done more of?

Prayed and fully relied on God

14.) What do you wish you would have done less of?

Worrying about what everyone else thinks and wasting time on the computer.

15.) What was your favorite TV program?

Last Man Standing with Tim Allen


16.) What was the best book you read?

The End of Normal by Stephanie Madoff Mack


17.) What was your favorite film of the year?

The Help


18.) What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?

Went to church, saw the Footloose remake with my hubby and ate dinner at my favorite burger joint with my family. I turned 44.

19.) What national/world event stirred you the most?

The death of Osama Bin Laden


20.) Who was the best new person you met?

Russ-one of my son's football coaches who became his mentor and a member of our family. He's an answer to prayer and someone all of us love like a brother. He is a man of integrity, honor and loyalty. I am so thankful for the role he plays in all of our lives and our whole family adores him.

COMMENTS: »